Graduate Writing Groups
UWC Writing groups provide support, encouragement, and accountability.
This summer, the UWC is offering weekly Quiet Writing groups led by our consultants. These meetings include 10 minutes of accountability check-ins and 50 minutes of writing. Groups meet for six weeks, and members are required to attend all six sessions.
- The summer session of writing groups will meet from June 11 through July 23.
- All groups will meet in the Perry-Castañeda Library (PCL), Room 4.102.
- Online registration for the summer session of groups will open at 9:00 a.m. on Tuesday, May 29 and close at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, June 8. To register, please click the Group Options links listed below. Availability is limited, and online registration is first-come, first-served.
- If you are interested in starting your own writing group outside of the UWC, please refer to our “Starting a Writing Group” guide (link below).
Summer Session Group Options:
- Groups meet in 6-week cycles. All summer session writing groups will meet in PCL, 4.102.
- Since the purpose of a writing group is to provide consistent support and accountability, writers are required to attend weekly meetings on time for the full six weeks. Writers who miss 2 group meetings or repeatedly arrive late will not be permitted to participate in UWC groups for the rest of the semester.
- For support and community without a weekly commitment, visit us for a consultation or try our Saturday retreats!
Starting your own writing group?
Our handout introduces practices that you can use to start sustained writing groups and peer review groups. You can use this guide to try writing together with peers in your department, with friends outside of academia, or with one writing partner. There’s no one best way to run a writing group—try a few approaches and see what works best for you!Take me to the handout!