Grant Writing Resources
Compiled by Sara Saylor and Alice Batt, University Writing Center, UT Austin.
Click here to download a print-friendly version of this handout.
- Office of Sponsored Projects – Guidance on seeking funding and drafting grant proposals.
- Regional Foundation Library – A branch of UT’s Division of Diversity and Community Engagement. Located on East 11th Street, this library offers free weekly drop-in workshops and a library of resources.
- UT Extended Campus Informal Classes – Grant Writing I and Grant Writing II, taught by Ike West. These informal classes focus on strategies for writing grant proposals to support nonprofit organizations.
- SciVal – lists funding sources in the humanities and social sciences.
- GrantSpace: Self-paced online courses on grant writing
- Grant writer’s Starter Kit from Hudson Valley Community College:
- Verba, Cynthia. 2013. “Chapter 5: Grantsmanship in Support of Study or Research.” In Scholarly Pursuits: A Guide to Professional Development During the Graduate Years. Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Harvard University.
- Gillis, Christina M. 2008. “Writing Proposals for ACLS Fellowship Competitions.”
- Burke, Jim and Carol Ann Prater. I’ll Grant You That: a Step-by-Step Guide to Finding Funds, Designing Winning Projects, Writing Powerful Grant Proposals. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, 2000.
- Geever, Jane and Patricia McNeil. The Foundation Center’s Guide to Proposal Writing. New York: Foundation Center, 1993.
- Golden Brown, Larissa and Martin John Brown. Demystifying Grant Seeking: What You Really Need to Do to Get Grants. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2001.
- Hall, Mary and Susan Howlett. Getting Funded: The Complete Guide to Writing Grant Proposals. Fourth Edition. Portland: Portland State University Continuing Education Press, 2003.
- Henson, Kenneth. Grant Writing in Higher Education: A Step-by-Step Guide. Allyn & Bacon, Inc., 2003.
- Karsh, Ellen and Arlen Sue Fox. The Only Grant-Writing Book You’ll Ever Need: Top Grant Writers and Grant Givers Share Their Secrets. Basic Books, Inc., 2009.
- Licklider, Mary. Grant Seeking in Higher Education: Strategies and Tools for College Faculty. San Francisco, CA: Josey Bass, 2012.
- Mikelonis, Victoria, Constance Kampf, and Signe Betsinger. Grant Seeking in an Electronic Age. Pearson Longman, 2004.
- Miner, Jeremy and Lynn Miner. Proposal Planning and Writing. Fourth Edition. Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishing Group, Inc., 2008.